Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 – 6 hours
Servings: 4 – 6
¾ cup Medjool dates
1 ¼ cup All-Purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup of sugar
¾ cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
¼ cup buckwheat flour
1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Place the dates on a chopping block and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of All-Purpose flour over them. Dip a knife into the flour and chop the dates finely. Flour the knife often to keep the cut-up fruit from sticking together.
- Sift the remaining All-Purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, egg, orange peel, and oil.
- Add the buckwheat flour to the flour mixture, mix well and gently fold in the dates, along with any flour left on the cutting block and the walnuts.
- Pour in the liquid ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Transfer dough into a well-greased and floured baking unit. Cover and place in the slow cooker
- Use a toothpick or small amount of twisted aluminium foil to prop the crockpot lid open a tiny fraction to allow steam to escape.
- Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
- Do NOT lift the crockpot lid while the bread is baking.
Nutrition: Calories 202 Fat 15 g Carbohydrate 62 g Protein 5 g