Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 – 40 minutes
Servings: 6 – 8
3 cups All-Purpose flour
2 cups of sugar
1 cup coconut oil, cold and solid
4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup Medjool dates, chopped
½ cup mixed nuts or walnuts, chopped
2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar.
- Cut in the solid coconut oil until your mixture is crumbly. Save 1 cup of the crumbled mixture for topping.
- To the remaining mixture, add cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and stir until well combined.
- Fold in dates and nuts.
- Make a well in the center of your cake mix and slowly pour the buttermilk into the hole. Stir until everything is just moist.
- Pour into a greased baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Nutrition: Calories 198 Fat 2 g Carbohydrate 25 g Protein 4.5 g